Saturday, November 29, 2008

Could Have Been


To rise above it
you first need
to be down in it.

I told this to
the kid with the
Grizzly Adams
beard, who was
young enough
that I could
have been his
father--
if I had been
down in it
when I was 14.

I was busy being
Michaelangelo
of the basement
all vision and no
practice, to notice
that life was more
than books, movies
midnight TV
and
guitar
and maybe
a nice magazine
stashed under
the bed.

But somehow,
out of that hole in
the ground
I filled out
the hole in my
head.

Beat that,
Eastpointe
Lizard King.

But then
I'm still waiting
for an OK
pair of wings...

Maybe the reptiles
had it right
before the best
of them
died out
one starry night.

If you are reading this, then it means my autopost feature works right, and yet I am still in Detroit. Yes, most blogs have this through post dating a blog post, but my old template did not. If I dated my work for a time yet to be, it would show up no matter what, as soon as I hit "publish".

Anyway, this one just had to break loose... but now I'm off for Thanksgiving part 2 with mom and my sister, and maybe afterwards, some very fine company and a drink or 3.

See you all soon!

10 comments:

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Vincent!

Have a good Thanksgiving weekend.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

p.s.:

That's one Madrechingado of a recruiting poster!

Crushed said...

I agree, yes.

You have to be down in it to see what it is you need to rise above.

Cléa said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

And your first line is so true, hopefully not drowning in it!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm still digging turkey out of my teeth. Hope your holiday was fulfilling.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Mail administrator says you email is still jammed.

BTW, I pressed a button on Google where they have my site.

Colis! I can be read in French.
Geez, what next. Ivan in Mandarin?
Seems all you have to do is press a button from Canada here, which is, of course, bilingual.
...And now, suddely, I have to re-learn French because all the sites through Google are suddenly in French...At least here.

Oate de Fouque!

karma lennon said...

Love this. Love it love it and totally get it. And dig the Lizard King.

Lana Gramlich said...

Hope you had a filling & otherwise enjoyable Thanksgiving. Congrats on the new, working autoposting!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I hope the dinosaurs did get struck by the meteor at night. That way, at least a lot of them would have died in their sleep.

Princess Pointful said...

Great introductory line(s)... grabbed me right away.
I like this one-- quirky and very Bukowski-esque (who you, of course, introduced me to)