Monday, September 27, 2010

Gorges

I love the women who have flowed  
in and out of my life...

Like rivers rifling down
the gorges that they've made,
I've learned to sway
with every curve again
and again,
let them dance in the narrow spaces
and flow on into the ocean.

They leave behind marks of wear
at the hardest points--
breaking through the weakest,
the sandbars and crumbling rockheads
as they carve a path that shapes me
into what I am and always becoming.

I love the way they flow,
the women who have come
in and out of my life...

And I suppose I will never tire of it,
because just as one flows on
to crumble and carve a new land,
another spring opens up again,
and again:
I am a vessel carved of the land
the rocks, driftwood and sand.

A mixed metaphor to be sure,
but alone in this I never am;
the ocean shows me
what the rains only suggest,
as the seasons begin again
and again...
always born from the one
that was before~
because love is a beginning
as well as the end.

11 comments:

Dulce said...

Great pi
Twin souls we are...

It's great to meet that so many or at least those few-not to compare but to blossom again.
Loved this!

Dulce said...

I meant PIC -of course! :)

eric1313 said...

Dolce

Of course! :) I liked the pic as well, the curves and the lush green landscape filled with life. A lot like the subject matter, I suppose.

Thank you for reading here.

Charles Gramlich said...

Right now I'm only thinking of the one who is in my world now.

eric1313 said...

Charles

As it should be.

And no one will fault you either.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Ah,

A loaf of bread
A jug of wine
Tigris-Euphrates

Says Borges, the smell of the sea, or the nearness of women.

eric1313 said...

Sounds like this Borges fellow was an alright guy.

He knows inspiration, and here it goes again... another one for another night.

Thanks for the timely drop by.

Lana Gramlich said...

I love the comparison of women to water here, the reference to the way they flow. Very nice.

eric1313 said...

Thank you Lana!

You know? You two are the first couple to read my blog, especially as much as you both do.

That's really cool. Something I would have always wanted from the start.

i beati said...

top drawer my man top drawer !!

eric1313 said...

:) thank you!

I'll keep it there too. Time to get things published.