Friday, October 22, 2010

Last Hit

"The length of my life
and the day of my death
were fated long ago"
--Viking Proverb

Up there,
in the tall grass,
snakes lying in ambush.

Downhill, his every breath
a dead scream
twisting in vacuum.

Hear that?

They wait...
They wait...

Safety thumbed off,
muzzle pointed
at the imperious sun,
dead ahead.

They wait.

Up there, twigs snap.

He knew his job,
but did his duty.





Tonight my uncle died.   He was a former U.S. Marine, died at home in the quietude of suburbia.   I know nothing else to say but that he was a good man, a person who would never harm another living being, but was always ready to defend what he believed in and loved.

He'll be missed and thought of often, though he can now finally rest.

Love you all for reading here.   Know that.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. Sounds like a great fellow.

X. Dell said...

I'm saddened to hear that, Eric. My best to you and your family.

Lana Gramlich said...

I'm sorry about your uncle, hon. *hug* The poem is a lovely tribute.

Dulce said...

I am sorry for your uncle. Hope he rests in peace... wherever he is now, he'll be proud and happy for you... and this great poem-tribute.
Warm hug

Dul.

eric1313 said...

Thank you all for your comments, been rough going. Sunday was the funeral service. I'm just tired and weary of everything.

I'll be back to write more soon...